CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

On becoming my mother (+ edit)

I have always told myself I would NEVER be like my mother. I am sure we all say that when we are young. However, now that I am an old fat woman, I find myself doing the same things my mother used to do. This is strange to me as it is not things that I would normally think of a genetic traits; just silly things she used to do that I am now doing as well.
Like what you ask? Well, New Years eve day, I spent the day cleaning and doing laundry as one should not start the new year with a dirty house or with dirty laundry. (my mother's rule and now that I think of it I am sure my grandmother did the same thing) I found myself stripping the bed and washing all the bed linens not just the sheets. Maybe now that I am thinking about it more rationally as I write, I am just following a family tradition and not turning into my mother.

On a lighter note, Matt is back today for the first time since Dec. 21st. I missed him so much but was also glad for a break to rest up a bit. He told me this morning that he NEEDS to make some cookies today. I actually did not bake any without him so it was part of the plan for this afternoon. I took the time when he was gone to sort out the toys he no longer plays with and put the ones he does into new storage containers for easy access. (blocks together, books together, etc) I was awed at the amount of "baby" toys we have. *Looking for anything for Lauren, Jackie? :-)

In my eagerness to clean up and do the laundry before the new year, I washed Wm.'s cell phone with his jeans. Now, that is bad enough in and of itself, but last week my SIL said she washed her cell phone. I remarked to Wm. "how can anyone be stupid enough to wash a cell phone with their jeans, doesn't she check the pockets?" I did check the pockets, all but the side pocket on his carpenter jeans......besides, I thought he had the cell phone with him at work. I guess not! Now it is bad, but not as bad it could have been. Tom got a new phone for Christmas and he will have Wm. number put on his old phone. I am so grateful for that. Also I probably should apologize to Karen, I guess anyone can be stupid enough to wash a cell phone with the jeans!

edit: allow me to brag for a minute here......we were making the cookies and Matt was telling me what to put in, he said 2 eggs and I said right; then he changed it to 4 eggs and I said no silly, 2 eggs. Once I started up the mixer I knew something was wrong. He just looked at me and said 4 eggs. Then I realized I had doubled the recipe and did indeed need 4 eggs! Well you can call it coincidence if you want to but I think this just shows that all our work is paying off; he is one smart boy!

2 comments:

my life on the mountain said...

Doesn"t everyone clean and change bedding before the new year?? My mother did and so do I. I have carried on many of the traditions my mother did, and I am sure she got them from hers also. I know Jackie has started showing the girls for the future.

Amanda Wheeler said...

My sister dropped her cell phone in the toliet! She had a hooded sweatshirt on at the time and it slipped out of the pocket. Needless to say she got a new phone! Lucky you can use someone's old phone. They are so expensive to buy in the middle of a contract.