Sunday, August 03, 2008

Whirlwind weekend

Our whirlwind weekend is coming to close. We left on Friday morning to go to Burlington for the wedding. I did not sleep well during the night because my stomach was very upset. I figured I could sleep in the car. Susan called early in the morning to say that Tom was not going as he had a stomach bug (yes, the same; Matt had it on Tues and Wed.) I was OK and not feeling much worse until we got to Rutland. We stopped there for lunch at Ponderosa and I decided to just eat mashed potatoes, safe right??? no butter, no gravy, may settle my stomach, right? Wrong!!!!! Going through the gorgeous Green mountains, I began to feel worse, Wm. had to pull over and I never got better. Needless to say, William and Susan went to the wedding, I stayed at the hotel and tried to sleep. Continually getting up and down to run to the bathroom, made it difficult to sleep. So needless to say, I have no pictures of the wedding, or the cruise ship or anything. Susan took some good shots so just be patient and I will share.

Saturday morning we made our way back to NY through the rain. Five hours is long time in the car when you don't feel well. The light at the end of the tunnel.......three of the most beautiful granddaughters in the world were here waiting for me when I did get home. Woo hoo. We decided to go out for dinner and Alyssa (a real girly girl) said " I need to go to the hotel and slip into a dress before we go to dinner". (I loved it!!) We went to our favorite haunt (of course, Kirby's) I knew my stomach could not handle the barbecue so I got chicken and linguini with no sauce. Did choke down a few bites.

This morning was my sweet little Matthew's 3rd birthday. After having breakfast with Grampa and her family, Lael helped me get things ready to take to the party. I made some potato salad, veggie tray, with dip and a fruit salad. Alyssa went with Grampa to walk Alice to the playground. I am amazed at how the girls have grown and how Lael seems to be up for handling big tasks, like chopping eggs for the potato salad, or making the veggie dip. Because of Alyssa's allergies, we had to wash the counters, etc. in between the salads so we would not cross contaminate.

I will leave you with a couple of pictures of the party, Susan had Matt's cake made but she also made cupcakes for Alyssa and Uncle Roy with no eggs or milk and a small round one that was gluten free for her father and Stephanie. Loved having every one together, would have rather I felt better, but hey, I will gladly take what I can get. I realize how infrequently I get to see my other grandchildren anymore. I am blessed to have Matt every day but it comes at a price. What doesn't?